DELAWARE MARRIAGE LICENSE
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GETTING MARRIED IN DELAWARE
Sussex County, DE
- Both applicants must appear together when applying for a marriage license. The marriage license may be obtained during the hours 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Sussex County Administrative Building, Room 268, Second floor, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, Delaware
- Each applicant is required to show a valid photo identification. The identification may be a drivers license, a State-issued identification card, a passport or a military identification. Two (2) proofs of address are required when using a passport as photo identification.
- You must be at least eighteen years of age to apply for a marriage license. If either applicant is under the age of eighteen, they are considered minors. Minors must petition Delaware Family Court for authorization to marry.
- Applicants may not be related to each other.
- Applicants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- No blood test is required.
- If a female applicant is divorced and legally reclaimed her maiden name, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the name change court papers. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by divorce or annulment, we require the last divorce or annulment decree. It must be signed by a Judge and bear a seal indicating that it is the original, true copy or a certified copy. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by death, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the death certificate. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant is on probation or parole, they must have written permission to marry from their probation or parole officer.
- If either applicant requires an interpreter, they must provide their own. The interpreter must be at least eighteen years of age.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, based on time of application. It must be used in that time period. It is only valid in the State of Delaware. The waiting period is 24 hours (based on time of application) for all applicants.
- Please allow at least 20 minutes for the marriage application process.
This option is for applying for a NEW marriage license. If you need a certified copy of a license for a marriage that has already taken place, see Certified Copies of Records. Note:The military fee waiver cannot be used for online applications; you must apply in person to receive the waiver.
Have your credit card and photo I.D. information ready before proceeding with the ordering process. For an online marriage application, all blocks must be filled in before completion. Once it is filled in completely, your online license application will be processed. You will NOT receive anything in the mail regarding this transaction.
Are you currently on Probation or Parole? If yes, you must have the Department of Corrections authorization to apply for a marriage license. Are you in a prohibited degree of relationship or party to a previous civil union or legal domestic partnership? Related in anyway to one another or still married to someone else? If yes, you cannot apply for a marriage license. Please call our office for further information at (302) 853-1717.
You are ordering your marriage license from the Sussex County Marriage Bureau. It must be picked up by BOTH applicants at the Sussex County Marriage Bureau and can be used anywhere in the State of Delaware.
When you pick up your license, you cannot be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The 24 hour waiting period from issuance of license to use of a license still applies when ordering online.
Before completing an on-line order, make sure your information is accurate. Once the order is placed, the information cannot be changed or corrected. If you re-enter Go Certificates after the completion of your order, you will be generating a new order and will be billed accordingly. Please check your entries for accuracy before completing your order. Online orders submitted after 4 pm Friday through 8 am Monday will be processed on Monday.
In addition to your purchase price, your credit card will be charged $14.95 by Go Certificates for processing your order.
All transactions are final and no refunds will be given.
Marriage license for Delaware residents
Marriage license for non-Delaware residents
Certified copy of a Marriage or Civil Union license
Fees for the services listed above are waived for active U.S. military personnel and veterans (with a copy of DD Form 214), regardless of residency. For fee waivers, please apply in person.
Our BEAUTIFUL WEDDINGS
From Our Clients
I just watched the video of my daughter’s wedding ceremony for the 5th time. I can’t say how happy I was that day and that I even started to cry some (I’m not usually an emotional guy). I realized how much of the success of her wedding was due to us using Alison as our wedding planner and officiant. Alison is the tops! She is very professional and friendly and understands how soon-to-be brides and grooms and family feel. She knows all the vendors, DJs, bakers, florists, and we used all her suggestions and that helped make “our” wedding a very special day. If you are planning a wedding in OC or that area get in touch with her, you will be very happy that you did.Steve P
Alison goes over the top to make sure your every requests and needs are met. My experience was slightly different considering the fact that my wedding was originally supposed to be in South Carolina the weekend that Hurricane Matthew hit. After having to cancel our whole wedding and re-book a new one in Ocean City, I was beyond blessed to have someone so organized and dedicated. She did everything to make sure my day was perfect and the fact that we were talking on the phone and texting non-stop to make sure absolutely everything was done goes to show you how flexible, dedicated, and reliable she is. She has amazing tastes and after planning a second wedding at Lighthouse Sound in literally about 48 hours, it was absolutely gorgeous and I have her to thank for that.Sarah & Tristan
Alison was the best wedding coordinator/officiant we could have asked for. We had an Beach wedding at Cornerstone in April and we were planning it from 2 HRS away......Alison is incredibly organized, very responsive to email, and always warm and pleasant. She was up for all the last minute changes we made and offered her own suggestions to keep it simple like we wanted. Alison was fun, energetic, easy to work with and a trooper as on the day of the wedding it was very windy and very very cold setting up a arbor and flowers that would not stay rather than giving up she came up with alternative ideas. She even joined the wedding party no shoes rule and married us barefoot in the cold sand . LOL. If you are getting married in the Delaware/Maryland area, hire Alison! You won’t regret it.Lynn & Matt
We didn’t have a lot of time when we decided that we wanted to get married while we were on vacation. They were really great to work with. They had a can do attitude and were very helpful. We wanted a simple wedding ceremony and that is what we got. It was perfect for us and just what we wanted. We were worried about rain because we wanted a beach wedding. They have an indoor location if the weather gets in the way. Luckily we didn’t have to worry about that.Donna (Bride)
Let's Start Something new